If you’re looking for an unforgettable adventure during your stay on the Big Island of Hawaii, deep sea fishing is a must-try activity.
The island’s rich marine life and pristine waters make it an ideal destination for both seasoned anglers and first-timers. Read on to learn everything you need to know about deep sea fishing on Big Island, from the types of fish you can catch to choosing the perfect charter.
Top 5 Best Deep Sea Fishing Charters on Big Island of Hawaii
Big Island Deep Sea Fishing charters offer an unforgettable experience for anglers, with a variety of fishing techniques and targeted fish species. The top 5 most incomparable fishing charters in Big Island are:
Beast Mode Sportfishing
Known for its 42′ Black Watch boat, equipped with modern amenities such as satellite TV and AC.
It targets Blue Marlin, Striped Marlin, and Shortbill Spearfish, and provides complimentary drinks and a first mate for assistance.
Don’t miss out on this luxurious fishing experience, book your trip now!
Bite Me Sportfishing – Kila Kila
This charter offers a luxurious 53′ Merritt vessel, with AC, private restrooms, and a full galley kitchen.
It targets a variety of species including Marlin, Mahi Mahi, and Tuna, and provides high-quality equipment and an experienced crew.
Experience the thrill of big game fishing, reserve your spot today!
Fire Hatt Sportfishing Charters
Captained by a retired chief, this charter offers a 43′ Hatteras boat with state-of-the-art equipment.
It targets Dolphin, Marlin, and Tuna, and provides private trips, as well as assistance from a first mate.
Join the adventure with Captain Chuck, secure your charter here!
High Noon Sport Fishing
Led by Captain Dee Bradford, this charter offers a 34′ Blackfin cruiser accommodating up to 6 anglers.
It is suitable for both new and experienced anglers and provides all fishing licenses.
Embark on a custom fishing experience, book with High Noon now!
Captained by Jay Lighty, this charter offers a 28′ Blackman offshore sportfishing boat, accommodating up to 4 people.
It targets Barracuda, Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, Tuna, Marlin, Sailfish, and Spearfish, and provides all fishing equipment and catch cleaning services.
Catch more fish with Captain Jay, schedule your trip today!
These charters stand out due to their experienced captains, luxurious boats, and diverse fishing techniques, ensuring an unforgettable deep-sea fishing experience on Big Island.
The Ultimate Deep Sea Fishing Experience on Big Island
What to Expect During Your Offshore Adventure
When you embark on a deep sea fishing trip, you’ll likely start with a boat ride to the fishing hotspot. Along the way, the captain and crew will share their knowledge about the local marine life and fishing techniques. Common techniques used in Big Island waters include trolling, live bait fishing, jigging, and bottom fishing. Expect to catch a variety of fish species, such as Pacific Blue Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna (Ahi), Mahi Mahi (Dolphinfish), Ono (Wahoo), and Shortbill Spearfish.
Duration of Deep Sea Fishing Trips
Deep sea fishing trips on Big Island typically come in three durations:
- Half-day trips: These trips usually last around 4-6 hours, perfect for those who want a taste of deep sea fishing without committing to a full day.
- Full-day trips: With 8-10 hours of fishing, you’ll have more time to explore different fishing spots and target various species.
- Overnight trips: For the ultimate fishing experience, some charters offer overnight trips that allow you to fish during both day and night.
Gear Up for Deep Sea Fishing
Your deep sea fishing charter will usually provide all the necessary equipment, including fishing rods, reels, bait, and tackle. Safety gear, such as life jackets and first aid kits, should also be available on board. Depending on the charter, you may have the option to practice catch and release or keep your catch to enjoy later.
Meet the Fish of Big Island Waters
Popular Targets for Anglers
The waters surrounding Big Island are teeming with a diverse range of fish species that attract anglers from around the world. Some of the most sought-after fish include:
- Pacific Blue Marlin: Known for their size and strength, blue marlins are a prized catch for many deep sea fishermen. They can be found year-round but are most abundant from May to September.
- Yellowfin Tuna (Ahi): Ahi is a popular catch for both commercial and recreational anglers. They can be found throughout the year, with peak season running from May to November.
- Mahi Mahi (Dolphinfish): These colorful, acrobatic fish are a favorite among anglers. They are most commonly caught between March and August.
- Ono (Wahoo): Ono are known for their speed and delicious taste. The best time to catch them is from May to September.
- Shortbill Spearfish: These smaller billfish can be found year-round, but their peak season is from December to April.
Big Island’s Top Fishing Spots
Kona Coast: The Deep Sea Fishing Capital
The Kona Coast on the west side of Big Island is renowned for its deep sea fishing opportunities. Some popular fishing spots and landmarks along the coast include Grander Alley, Ground Zero, and the Kona Trench.
Hilo Coast: The Underrated East Side
The Hilo Coast on the east side of Big Island also offers excellent deep sea fishing opportunities. Key fishing spots include Hilo Bay, Pohoiki, and the Hamakua Coast.
Kohala Coast: A Hidden Gem
The Kohala Coast on the north side of Big Island is another great spot for deep sea fishing. Visit landmarks like Upolu Point, Kawaihae Harbor, and the Kohala Ledge for the chance to catch a variety of fish.
South Point: The Southernmost Tip
South Point, the southernmost tip of Big Island, offers a unique fishing experience. Known for its strong currents, this area is home to a variety of pelagic fish species.
Choosing the Perfect Deep Sea Fishing Charter
Factors to Consider
When selecting a deep sea fishing charter, consider the following factors:
- Prices and packages: Compare different charters to find one that fits your budget and preferences.
- Boat size and amenities: Choose a boat that offers the right balance of comfort, speed, and fishing capabilities.
- Captain and crew experience: Look for a knowledgeable and reputable captain and crew to ensure a successful and enjoyable trip.
Top-Rated Charters on Big Island
Some highly recommended deep sea fishing charters on Big Island include Bite Me Sportfishing, Camelot Sportfishing, and High Noon Sportfishing.
Tips for a Successful Deep Sea Fishing Trip
Preparing for Your Trip
Before embarking on your deep sea fishing adventure, make sure to:
- Wear appropriate clothing, such as a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- Bring essentials like snacks, water, and seasickness remedies.
To ensure a safe and enjoyable trip, follow these guidelines:
- Take seasickness prevention measures, such as taking medication or using pressure point bands.
- Always follow the instructions of the captain and crew.
Catch More Fish
Increase your chances of reeling in the big one by:
- Using the right techniques for the specific fish species you’re targeting.
- Being patient and persistent throughout the trip.
Now that you’re equipped with all the information you need, it’s time to embark on your Big Island deep sea fishing adventure.