Big Island Fishing Calendar: Best Times & Seasons for Catching Fish
If you happen to be on the Big Island of Hawaii and are looking for the best times of year to fish for certain species, look no further.
Here’s the Big Island Fishing Calendar, your comprehensive guide to all the peak availability of different kinds of fish on the Island of Hawaii.
Big Island Fishing Calendar: Fish species availability throughout the year
There’s no need to read through pages of fishing reports — Trust the fishing calendar based on the years of experience from expert anglers and captains.
Let’s interpret the above table and explain it in plain english. Here are the best time to catch certain fish species:
- The Black Marlin is a good catch from January through December.
- Blue Marlin peaks from June to August, but is still fair throughout the rest of the year.
- Sailfish remains consistently fair throughout the whole year.
- Spearfish pops up from January to March and then again in December. * Striped Marlins show up from January to March, with another peak in December.
- Swordfish takes it easy from January to February and then gets lively from March to April, before levelling off until December.
- Mahi Mahi is abundant from January to March, plus one more peak in December, and is usually fair the rest of the time.
- Wahoo or Ono makes its mark from January to March, followed by an April-May peak, before calming down until December.
- Bigeye Tuna peaks during January to March and stays consistent beyond that point.
- Skipjack Tuna is great from April to June and reaches peak availability between July and September before settling back into being good in October through December.
- Lastly, Yellowfin Tuna is at its most plentiful from June to September, while May and October offer fairer availability.
As you can see, there’s always something exciting to catch in the waters around the Big Island – so grab your rod, put on your hat, book a trip today and say goodbye to dull days.
Big Island Fishing Seasons: Best Time To Catch Fish
Big Island is a paradise for angling aficionados, and should be your next travel destination. There are always an abundance of fish in Hawaii, but some seasons are better than others for targeting certain fish. We’ll describe what types of fish you can expect depending on the time of year you come to the Island of Hawaii.
Here’s what types of fish awaits you by season and month:
Winter to spring, from January to April, Spearfish and Bigeye Tuna season is in full swing – Swordfish too! Black Marlin, Blue Marlin, Sailfish, and Yellowfin Tuna are all fair game during this period.
From late spring through summer, around May to when August rolls around, Blue Marlin and Wahoo (Ono) reach their peak seasons. Striped Marlin also peaks during these months; Mahi Mahi stays abundant from May to December, but reaches its highest point in May-July.
During the fall, especially September and October bring Skipjack Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, and plenty more species.
When winter starts around November and December there are decent conditions for most types of fish on the island, with an uptick in Striped Marlin sightings around waters during December.
Fishing fanatics can expect something exciting every month on Hawaii’s big island! Every season comes with new opportunities – so don’t forget to pack your gear accordingly! Here’s a quick look at some of the best times to catch certain species:
- Spearfish peak season runs from January to March
- Wahoo(Ono) and Yellowfin tuna have the best chances between May and August near Kona coastlines
- Skipjack Tuna usually appear in September and October
- Blue marlins can be caught between June and August
So if you’re looking for a memorable fishing experience, the Big Island has you covered!
Best time of day to go fishing on big island
If you’re looking to up your chances of catching fish, then take this one simple tip – go fishing at dusk or dawn! There’s no time more favorable for active fish than during these times.
However, if you can’t make it out when the sun is setting or rising, don’t worry – tides are another great way to increase your chance of success. Just keep that in mind and you’ll be sure to have a successful day on the water.
So, whether it’s at twilight or with the changing tides, remember these two tips and start reeling in some dinner!
Top 4 Best shore fishing spots on big island
Big Island has plenty of great shorefishing spots to choose from.
Spencer Beach Park
Let’s start with Spencer Beach Park. This soft sand beach is shaded by palm trees, and also has a picnic pavilion and campground. It’s perfect if you want to fish right off the beach.
If you’re looking for something more family friendly, head over to Keahou Harbor. Experienced anglers can take advantage of the pier while beginners can get started at the rock wall–angelfish, yellow tang, and manini can all be found here.
A-Bay (Anaeho’omalu Bay)
Anaeho’omalu Bay (A-Bay) is another great spot. The long beach offers some of the best catches on its left side. You might even see turtles swimming in the bay. Fish you’ll find here include barracuda, mahi-mahi, and triggerfish.
Finally, check out Old Airport. This area can have rough waters due to strong offshore winds, but experienced fishers will love the sharp rocks that make it possible to drop your line into deeper water. Just watch out for sea urchins on the rocks–no reel fishing allowed, only pole or hand line.
Other Hawaii Fishing Calendars
Ready for a fishing adventure on the Big Island? To make sure your trip is a total success, you’ll need to know the best times of day, seasons, and fishing spots for shore fishing.
The Big Island Fishing Calendar is a great tool to help you plan your trip. Want to check out other fishing calendars in Hawaii?
Look no further than the Kauai Fishing Calendar and Maui Fishing Calendar.
Need tips on shore fishing this season? We’ve got you covered with the Shore Fishing page.
If you’re looking to book a fishing charter, head to the Hawaii Fishing Charters page to find an extensive list of charters on each island, including the Big Island Deep Sea Fishing Charters, Maui Fishing Charters, Oahu Fishing Charters, Honolulu Fishing Charters, and Kauai Fishing Charters.
And don’t forget to read about What to Wear When Deep Sea Fishing.
With these resources, you’re guaranteed a fun and successful fishing trip!
So what are you waiting for? Grab your gear and head to one of these amazing fishing spots on the Big Island!